Box 24001, Red Deer, AB, T4N 6X6
Phone: (403) 346 - 0055 | Fax: (403) 347 - 8759

A perfect place for meetings, retreats, parties, weddings and teas

Cronquist House Built in 1911 by Emmanuel Cronquist, this 8-bedroom house has an inviting wrap around porch. Its Queen Anne tower is a familiar icon in and around the Red Deer area. Surprisingly enough,it is not a brick-built house, it is made completely of wood, with a decorative brick facing that runs all the way around the house on the first two floors.

Historically it is a Victorian-style farmhouse. Through the years it fell into disrepair, and it was not until the late 1980s that it was renovated. In 1976, the house was 'rescued' by the Red Deer International Folk Festival Society (now the Red Deer Cultural Heritage Society), and was brought across the Red Deer River to where it stands today, overlooking Bower Ponds.

Cronquist House Once they had decided to save the house, the plaster and brick facing had to come off. The interior decorations of the house are new although, reminiscent of the era the house was built in and the beautiful and extensive woodwork is original. Today's plumbing, heating and electrical standards have been incorporated into the design of the house; however it maintains the ambiance of the 1920s-1930s era house.

The house has lived many "lives" over that past 100 years: a family home, a tearoom, a multi-cultural centre, and a historical symbol.

 

Cronquist House Cronquist House Cronquist House Cronquist House